E-Verify Participation and Upcoming IMAGE Forums and Training
Did you know that only 48% of staffing companies surveyed use E-Verify? E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. The use of E-Verify can help companies avoid costly violations, fines and penalties.
In January 2012, the ICE Mutual Agreement between Government and Employers (IMAGE) reported that two companies, Atrium Companies and Advanced Containment Systems Inc., based in Houston, TX have agreed to each pay $2 million as forfeited funds to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for failing to comply with immigration and labor laws and hiring illegal aliens. Both companies received multiple notices from the Social Security Administration (SSA), but failed to take corrective measures, resulting in the continued employment of the undocumented aliens and ending with forfeited funds and a tainted public record. The use of E-Verify could have helped these companies ensure that their employees were eligible to work in the U.S.
With E-Verify participation being a requirement of IMAGE certification, receiving training on E-Verify can be very valuable. The IMAGE Forum and Training Series is a free series of forums being held across the country. This training consists of Form I-9 training, USCIS E-Verify updates, Office of Special Counsel training, and fraudulent document detection training.
Upcoming IMAGE forums include:
- April 19, 2012, El Paso, Texas – Wyndham El Paso Airport
- May 3, 2012, Los Angeles, Calif. – Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown
- May 17, 2012, Houston, Texas – Location TBD
- June 7, 2012, Orlando, Fla. – Embassy Suite Orlando Downtown
- June 28, 2012, Boston, Mass. – Location TBD
- July 12, 2012, Denver, Colo. – Location TBD
- July 26, 2012, Philadelphia, Pa. – Location TBD
- Aug. 9, 2012, Minneapolis, Minn. – Location TBD
- Aug. 23, 2012, Portland, Ore. – Location TBD
- Sept. 13, 2012, Indianapolis, Ind. – Location TBD
- Sept. 27, 2012, San Antonio, Texas – Location TBD
- Date TBD, Washington, D.C. – Location TBD
In addition to protecting your company from fines, citations and violations, IMAGE certification benefits include:
- Public recognition of the employer’s IMAGE certification
- Avoidance of lawsuits and other legal actions resulting from unauthorized employment
- Brand name protection
- Fine mitigation
- A stable workforce
- No Form I-9 inspection for a minimum of two years
- ICE provided training and guidance on proper hiring procedures and fraudulent document awareness
How do you ensure that your company is in compliance with employee eligibility and immigration laws?