A Rise in I-9 Audits – What Does This Mean for You?
A Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) article brings to light the issue of I-9 audits. According to the article, in first two years of the Obama Administration, I-9 audits have increased dramatically. The U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Agency (ICE) – of which Staff Management is a charter member of – has intensified administrative fines and paper audits, which can result in the dismissal of unauthorized workers. Since April 2009, it is reported that ICE has a greater interest in criminally prosecuting employers and less of an interest in mass deportations of employees. This shift represents a change in the administration’s focus, choosing to hold employers accountable for the unauthorized employees.
What does this mean for you?
As ICE works harder to crack down on employers, it is important for you to understand proper I-9 auditing procedures and ensure that your company and vendors are staying compliant with the law.
Ensuring compliance creates key benefits for your company including:
- Protecting your company’s brand
- Achieving government verification of workforce eligibility
- Complying with federal contractor requirements and state laws
- Reducing probability of worksite enforcement actions
- Protecting against liability, audits, financial penalties and negative publicity
- Reducing SSN mismatch letters
Read our white paper on IMAGE (ICE Mutual Agreement Between Government and Employers) to learn more about how to protect your company’s brand through employee verification.